UNICORN PARTY TIPS
Here are some tips to help you have an awesome Unicorn party!
You have Water Beads in your party kit. In case you’ve never come across them water beads expand in water to create a tub full of of slippery, squishy fun that children love! Don’t forget to hydrate these the day before your party as they need 24 hours to transform (full instructions are below and on the information card in your kit).
BEFORE THE PARTY
- CHOOSE YOUR FOOD MENU
Some ideas for what to feed them:
The main: Why not keep it simple with sandwiches, pitta, pasta salad or pizza for the main (make sure you have a vegetarian option).
Vegetables: crudites like carrots, cucumber, peppers and celery which you can serve with hummous are easy to prepare and go down well as do olives and iceberg lettuce.
Fruit: Go for fruit that doesn’t need to be cut up like berries and seedless grapes and fruit that doesn’t spoil when cut like melon and mango…
Treats: A few treats are a must on the party table. Biscuits, popcorn and crisps are usually popular.
Ideas to theme your food:
- Cut your sandwiches with unicorn biscuit cutters
- Use unicorn biscuit cutters to shape homemade biscuits or to cut out fruit like watermelon
- Make a fruit rainbow with watermelon, orange segments, pineapple, melon, grapes, blueberries, etc.. You could skewer the fruit to make a rainbow wand.
- Make fairy bread with white bread and hundreds and thousands.
- Sprinkle edible glitter and hundreds and thousands in popcorn
- Icecream cones turned upside down and dipped in hundreds and thousands make cool edible unicorn horns.
- CHOOSE 3 OR 4 EXTRA PARTY GAMES
Some ideas for extra Party Games you can do with household items:
Balloon Race: Line the children up in two lines with a balloon for each line. Have a relay race keeping a balloon up in the air the whole time! You could add extra challenges such as only use your elbows!
Unicorn, Unicorn Donkey: Play a variation on Duck, Duck, Goose. Sit the children in a circle while one child, who is “it” goes around the circle, tapping the children, saying “Unicorn, Unicorn, Unicorn” until finally calling one “Donkey.” The child who has been tapped “Donkey” must get up and try to tag the “it” child who runs around the circle. If they sit in the “Donkey’s” place without being tagged then the “Donkey” becomes “it”. If the child who is “it” is tagged, they have another go as “it.”
Hot Unicorn Poo: This is a variation on Hot Potato. Find an object to be the Hot Unicorn Poo (scrunched up tin foil will do.) Children pass it quickly around a circle while music is playing. When the music, stops the child who is holding the Unicorn Poo is out!
Sleeping Unicorns: This is a variation on Sleeping Lions. The children must lie down and not move or make a sound. Anyone who does is out. (This is a good one if you want to calm them down!)
Unicorn Piñata: These are available to buy on amazon. Simply fill with sweets and treats such as stickers, tattoos etc and confetti or torn up tissue paper if you like. Then hang the piñata up and let the children whack it with a soft bat. When it is broken open then shake the remaining treats and confetti over the children and let them gather them up and put in their party bag. Top tip: make sure children who are not taking their go stand well back and keep a few treats back in case of someone missing out on something.
The Doughnut Eating Game: string some doughnuts on a string and see who can be first to eat their doughnut with hands held behind backs!
Guess How Many Sweets are in the Jar: to win the jar of sweeties!
Balloon Pass: Line children up in two lines and race to pass the balloon along the line, first over the head and then through the legs!
Flour Mountain: fill a pudding bowl with flour and then turn over to create a flour mountain. Place a jelly baby on top and children take turns to remove a spoonful of flour without toppling the jelly baby. The one who knocks the jelly baby off must eat it with hands behind their back and gets a face full of flour! Top tip: watch out for children getting flour in their eyes and tidy up quickly or it might descend into a flour fight!
- WRITE UP A RUNNING ORDER
Suggested Running Order
We reckon around two hours is the perfect time for a party to last and between 6 and activities should fill the time.
- Put on Party Music
- Hand out Unicorn Horn Party Hats to your guests as they arrive
- Begin with your Unicorn Tears Water Bead Activity (which stragglers can join in with when they arrive)
- Free Play with balloons or another Game or Activity (see above)
- Pin the Horn on the Unicorn Game
- Unicorn Horn Pass the Parcel (if you have one)
- Party Food
- Unicorn Poo Game
- Free Play with balloons or another 1 or 2 Games or Activities (see above)
- Hand out Party Bags and Swirly Lollipops as they leave
- THE MUSIC: Kit & Caboodle have created a Unicorn Party playlist on Spotify that you can use at your party. Bright, upbeat pop tunes filled with positive messages of empowerment and self-confidence will set the scene for your Unicorn Party. Click here for the Kit & Caboodle Unicorn Party Spotify Playlist.
- DOWNLOAD THE FREE K&C UNICORN PRINTABLES (OPTIONAL): Print and cut out the bunting then glue twine to the flags. Print and cut out the tent cards and write guest names or food labels.
- PREPARE THE UNICORN POO GAME: divide the confetti equally and stuff it into the clear balloons.
Top tip: We have found that the best way to stuff a balloon is to use a funnel or make one out of cardboard. Walk the index and middle fingers of both hands down and into the neck of the balloon, being careful of nails. Carefully stretch the opening over the funnel ensuring that the funnel leads directly into the wider part of the balloon. It is quite easy to tear the balloon so take your time. Then gently feed little clumps of confetti into the balloon. Take a look at our video tutorial. If you have trouble with this method then check out our party tips for an alternative method.
- PREPARE THE UNICORN TEARS WATER BEAD ACTIVITY: Find a large container for your water beads. At least 24 hours before the party, add approximately 1 litre of cold water for each 5g sachet of beads. Leave to soak for 24 hours, then drain the water off. Remove any packaging and hide the prizes in the beads.
- MAKE AND ICE THE CAKE (if you are making one).
ON PARTY DAY
- BALLOONS AND DECORATIONS: inflate the balloons using the included pump (or you could do this the night before to save time). The balloons are 11”. Try not to overinflate as this increases the risk of popping. Place the confetti balloons for the Unicorn Poo game in the balloon bag provided. (We realise the bag is a tad big! – but you could use it to store all the party the balloons if you blow them up the night before and it can also be used for rubbish when it comes to clear up).
Fold out, stick together and hang up your diamond honeycomb decorations and then drape your fringe garland.
- PARTY TABLE: Set out your tablecover, paper plates, cups, straws, napkins and sprinkle your confetti over your party table
- PREPARE THE FOOD: See above for ideas
- PREPARE THE CAKE: If you have a Cake Decorating Kit scatter your sprinkles over the top, arrange your Yay candle and glitter candles. Finish by sprinkling on your magical popping candy. Top tip: do this just before you serve as it will start popping when you put it on the cake!
- SET OUT THE PARTY ACTIVITIES:
- Unicorn horns
- Stick up the Pin the Horn on the Unicorn game card and set out the blindfold and stickers. Top Tip: we have found that kids are tempted to cheat at this game so you could tie the blindfold on with a scarf if you want to stop any cheating!
- The Unicorn Poo game in the balloon bag. Top Tip: Get the kids to help tidy up after the game without realising by telling them there is a prize for whoever collects the most Unicorn Poo! (bits of balloon.) The prize can be something as simple as a pack of fruit yo-yos and you can give them all one…
- The Unicorn Tears water beads with the prizes hidden in them.
- GET THE CAMERA READY AND ENJOY THE PARTY!
What they should go home with: Top tip: label your party bags and make sure kids add any prizes etc they get during the party so they go home with all their loot.
- Swirly lollipops
- Unicorn horn party hats
- Touchable bubbles (prize from their Unicorn Tears water bead game)
- Prize if they are lucky winner of the Pin the Horn on the Unicorn game
- A slice of cake (optional)
- Balloon tied with ribbon (optional but it helps with the tidy up!)
You have fabulous glittery unicorn horns in your Party Kit but if you want to get a Ride-On Unicorn for the birthday child to complete the look then click on the link above.
We hope you have a fun party and your little one has a big day to remember! If you don’t already have a Unicorn Party Kit they are available from Kit & Caboodle.